THE family of missing Dublin girl Amy Fitzpatrick will hold a candlelit vigil in a bid to make the Irish government pressure Spanish cops into launching a cold case investigation.
The vigil will take place outside the Dail in Dublin tomorrow, and will mark what would have been Amy’s 25th birthday.
Fitzpatrick went missing from her home in Riviera del Sol, near Fuengirola, in January 2008.
She was walking home from her friend’s house at around 10.10pm, but has not been seen since.
Aunt Christine Kenny said: “What we hope to achieve with the vigil is to keep Amy at the front of everyone’s mind.”
Kenny believes there is cause to ask more questions about Amy’s life in the lead-up to her disappearance.
“I’m not going to get into the specifics but there were too many coincidences, things that just didn’t fit.
“I truly believe this wasn’t a flash-in-the-pan incident. I don’t think it was planned or anything but these things don’t just happen out of nothing.
“You know when you just have that ‘that’s not right’ kind of feeling. I want a set of fresh eyes to have a look at this case. That’s what is needed.”
The original case had several suspects, but lacked the evidence to bring forward charges.
Kenny blames the Guardia Civil for not following up obvious leads, saying that they ‘went off and did their own thing while evidence was being removed’.
Kenny added: “All we want is to bring Amy home. We want her found and we want her home. Her brother Dean was killed by Dave Mahon, her mother’s partner. This whole family has been torn apart by everything that has happened over the last eight or nine years.”
“We need justice for Amy. Dave Mahon only got 10 years for killing Dean. It should have been life.”
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54