THE family of missing Dublin girl Amy Fitzpatrick will hold a candlelit vigil in a bid to make the Irish government pressure Spanish cops into launching a cold case investigation.
The vigil will take place outside the Dail in Dublin tomorrow, and will mark what would have been Amy’s 25th birthday.
Fitzpatrick went missing from her home in Riviera del Sol, near Fuengirola, in January 2008.
She was walking home from her friend’s house at around 10.10pm, but has not been seen since.
Aunt Christine Kenny said: “What we hope to achieve with the vigil is to keep Amy at the front of everyone’s mind.”
Kenny believes there is cause to ask more questions about Amy’s life in the lead-up to her disappearance.
“I’m not going to get into the specifics but there were too many coincidences, things that just didn’t fit.
“I truly believe this wasn’t a flash-in-the-pan incident. I don’t think it was planned or anything but these things don’t just happen out of nothing.
“You know when you just have that ‘that’s not right’ kind of feeling. I want a set of fresh eyes to have a look at this case. That’s what is needed.”
The original case had several suspects, but lacked the evidence to bring forward charges.
Kenny blames the Guardia Civil for not following up obvious leads, saying that they ‘went off and did their own thing while evidence was being removed’.
Kenny added: “All we want is to bring Amy home. We want her found and we want her home. Her brother Dean was killed by Dave Mahon, her mother’s partner. This whole family has been torn apart by everything that has happened over the last eight or nine years.”
“We need justice for Amy. Dave Mahon only got 10 years for killing Dean. It should have been life.”
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31