THE EU has ignited a fresh row over Gibraltar by labelling it as a ‘colony’ of Britain in new Brexit legislation.
It came as MEPs settled on an agreement giving Brits the right to visa-free travel in Europe after the UK leaves the EU.
The text guarantees that Brits travelling in the EU will not have to pay the £52 for holiday passes, even if the UK crashes out of the 28-member bloc.
British MEP Claude Moraes, who was removed as the rapporteur on Monday, claimed the move had come after ‘a long campaign of bullying’.
Meanwhile, a UK Foreign Office spokesperson said: “Gibraltar is not a colony and it is completely inappropriate to describe in this way.”
But Spanish MEP, Esteban Gonzalez Pons said Spain has, ‘obtained the fundamental support of the European institutions in the dispute over Gibraltar’.
The legislation containing the insulting reference to the Rock was passed 38 votes against eight by the committee on Civil Liberties.
The footnote reads: “Gibraltar is a colony of the British Crown.
“There is controversy between Spain and the United Kingdom concerning the sovereignty over Gibraltar, a territory for which a solution has to be reached in light of the relevant resolutions and decision of the General Assembly of the United Nations.”
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08