AN Andalucian football club has taken a stand against racism by printing racist slurs on the back of their shirts.
Alma de Africa – soul of Africa – are a team of five Spaniards and immigrants from 12 other nationalities based in Jerez.
The multiracial set of players donned jerseys adorned with the racist insults for their last match of the season against Algaida.
Shirts included the terms: “Monkey, nigger, slave, ape, sudaca (derogatory name for a South American), undocumented migrant, gorilla, gypsy, Indian, illegal, blackie, scum, immigrant and black.”
Teammates have, in a tongue-in-cheek way, branded the five-year-old squad ‘the foreigners’.
“We still hear these insults and it hurts us, as well as the professional players,” Cameroon-born midfielder Eric Josue Amang told El Pais.
“We want to be respected. We are in the 21st century and I don’t understand how they can still say these insults.”
Eric journeyed from his country to Morocco, and then crossed to Spain in a small boat for €80, in what he called an ‘incredibly hard experience’.
Alma de Africa finished the campaign bottom of the table and gave away the shirts to the Algaida players.
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40