A COSTA Blanca mother will demand that British expats get full voting rights at the European Parliament.
The mother of four, Jacqui Cotterill, from the Marina Alta village of Parcent, Valencia, will make her speech to the Euopean Union in Brussels on Tuesday.
Cotterill wants Britons who have chosen to take advantage of the EU’s freedom of movement law to still be entitled to vote in the UK elections.
Her speech is one of several to be made as part of a day’s hearing called, ‘Making the Most of EU Citizenship’, addressing the practicalities of residing in another EU country.
Cotterill, who has not been able to vote in the UK for 8 years, said she believes it is wrong that expats have no right to vote in the UK once they have been out of the country for 15 years.
“My petition is calling for the 15-year rule to be scrapped so those who want to vote in the UK can do so,” she said.
“People have homes there, pay council tax there or have pensions and are paying other taxes and want the 15 year rule scrapped.”
She also disagrees with expats being denied the right to vote in Spain apart from in municipal and European elections.
“Younger people working and paying taxes here and making investments into a future here should be allowed to vote in the country where they are legally resident,” she added.
“We have chosen to live in the EU and should have a voice.”
Ms Cotterill is now the Deputy Mayor of Parcent after joining the Democratic Coalition of Parcent party in 2006.
Talking about the day she said: “We need to make sure next Tuesday is not just a talking shop and some real action follows.”
The Olive Press recently reported on a petition to have an MP for expats in the UK Parliament.
See the full story here: https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2013/01/11/an-mp-for-expats/
- Fruit growers fight to safeguard Costa produce - 8 Mar, 2013 @ 12:35
- More bad weather to come in Andalucia - 7 Mar, 2013 @ 14:29
- Axarquia shop owners to dress windows as part Easter celerations - 7 Mar, 2013 @ 13:21
- New app offers UK children’s programmes in Spanish - 7 Mar, 2013 @ 10:18
- The ladies who made a difference - 5 Mar, 2013 @ 13:56
- Money over the bridge - 5 Mar, 2013 @ 09:10
- €400 incentive to increase youth employment - 5 Mar, 2013 @ 09:00
- Donkeys’ star status won’t save them from eviction - 4 Mar, 2013 @ 16:40
- Looking at the Labyrinth - 1 Mar, 2013 @ 14:36
- Ticket to the States! - 1 Mar, 2013 @ 12:00