A PENSIONER has been left traumatised following a brutal mugging in Marbella.
Elizabeth Rostron, 60, was walking to meet her husband in Elviria when her diamond necklace was snatched from her neck.
The expat, who has lived in the Marbella area for 12 years, had been waiting in the cafe at the MBC Business Centre when she noticed a scruffily dressed man watching her.
This character then left the building hurriedly, but another strange man came into the cafe and sat near the pensioner.
Feeling uncomfortable, Rostron decided to leave to meet her husband who was returning from the nearby doctor’s surgery.
But as she walked away from the cafe, another man suddenly appeared and lunged at the woman’s throat, snatching the 1.2 carat diamond necklace from her neck.
Rostron screamed, but the man ran off while the pensioner was looked after by passers-by who saw she was in distress.
“I was completely hysterical,” she said. “It was a terrifying experience and not the sort of thing you expect in Elviria.
“I’m usually so cautious when I’m out and about and don’t have my purse or any jewellery on show, but I feel so safe in this area as it’s so lovely and quiet”
Rostron believes that the three men had been working together as part of a gang and later discovered that there had been a heavy police presence in the area due to reports of individuals acting suspiciously.
“I thought I knew about every scam out there, but I guess I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time,” she added.
The pensioner said that the necklace is worth about €3,000 and is uninsured, but it’s not the monetary value that she really cares about.
“The necklace is of priceless sentimental value,” she explained. “My husband gave me the diamond as an anniversary present; it’s the sort of thing you can simply never replace.
“Although I don’t want to scare people or discourage them from visiting this lovely area, but it just shows that you really need to be on your guard all the time.”
- EXCLUSIVE: Family found dead in Mijas were killed ‘up to two days apart’ - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 23:13
- Costa del Sol journalist faces new sex charges - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 11:00
- Messi in tax mess - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 09:00
- Millions of moths descend on Madrid - 25 Jun, 2013 @ 09:30
- Newborn baby rescued from drain in Alicante - 24 Jun, 2013 @ 13:59
- ‘Syria jihadist suspects’ arrested in Ceuta - 21 Jun, 2013 @ 10:32
- Spanish economy making ‘strong progress’ - 20 Jun, 2013 @ 13:15
- VIDEO: Man tackles runaway bull on Malaga street - 19 Jun, 2013 @ 11:57
- Austerity measures putting Spaniards’ lives at risk - 18 Jun, 2013 @ 11:46
- Rabies returns to Spain - 17 Jun, 2013 @ 14:02