A GROUP of Catholics in Granada have been left outraged by a Muslim prayer gathering at the site of a Virgin Mary statue.
The gathering, sanctioned by the town hall and welcomed by mayor Francisco Cuenca, saw dozens of Muslims praying in the Jardines del Triunfo park before breaking their daily Ramadan fast.
But several politicians Tweeted their outrage, saying that allowing muslims to pray near the cherished Virgin Mary was a ‘provocation’.
Granada MP Luis Salvador said: “Mr. Paco Cuenca confuses tolerance and religious respect with provocation. Call for Muslim Prayers at the Virgin of Triumph??”
Fellow politician Manuel Olivares, said it was ‘regrettable’, ‘incromprehensible’ and ‘disrespectful’.
The far-right VOX party has called for an ‘act of reparation’ to take place in the park this evening, during which Catholics will recite the rosary.
The party said the event is for ‘those who show their faith and defending the customs, values, and culture inherited from our parents.’
It added: “And to protest against the council of this municipality who, by action or omission, have given permission and consent to a symbolic public space being taken over by the Muslim community.”
The PSOE councilor in Granada, Jemi Sanchez, has come out in defence of the Muslim community.
“Multiculturalism can never be a threat, it is an added value,” she wrote on Facebook.
“For the first time, the City of Granada supports its Muslim community wishing them a happy Ramadan in the gardens of Triumph.”
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23