A GROUP of Catholics in Granada have been left outraged by a Muslim prayer gathering at the site of a Virgin Mary statue.
The gathering, sanctioned by the town hall and welcomed by mayor Francisco Cuenca, saw dozens of Muslims praying in the Jardines del Triunfo park before breaking their daily Ramadan fast.
But several politicians Tweeted their outrage, saying that allowing muslims to pray near the cherished Virgin Mary was a ‘provocation’.
Granada MP Luis Salvador said: “Mr. Paco Cuenca confuses tolerance and religious respect with provocation. Call for Muslim Prayers at the Virgin of Triumph??”
Fellow politician Manuel Olivares, said it was ‘regrettable’, ‘incromprehensible’ and ‘disrespectful’.
The far-right VOX party has called for an ‘act of reparation’ to take place in the park this evening, during which Catholics will recite the rosary.
The party said the event is for ‘those who show their faith and defending the customs, values, and culture inherited from our parents.’
It added: “And to protest against the council of this municipality who, by action or omission, have given permission and consent to a symbolic public space being taken over by the Muslim community.”
The PSOE councilor in Granada, Jemi Sanchez, has come out in defence of the Muslim community.
“Multiculturalism can never be a threat, it is an added value,” she wrote on Facebook.
“For the first time, the City of Granada supports its Muslim community wishing them a happy Ramadan in the gardens of Triumph.”
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29